Monday, November 29, 2010

Dare to DIY - Week Three

Dare to . . . eat cookies!

At first my little(r) Weight Watchers butt was annoyed that I had to make a plate of cookies for this dare. "Aw man," I thought. "There goes all my hard work." But . . . I got over that QUICKLY. Nothing ups my metabolism faster than an entire plateful of cookies. (And it really did work too! If only Thanksgiving hadn't happened . . . lol.)

Anyway, the cookies that I made are the ones I am nowadays kind of famous for . . . and famous for screwing up. We had these nearly every Christmas when I was a kid (made by someone else) and I have to continue making them simply because my mind tells me that it's not Christmas without them. But - I stink at making them. Granted, I am getting better year after year, but they are never very pretty like the ones I had as a child.

Plus, these cookies don't have a name. We tend to call them "The White Chocolate Thingys". Impressive, I know. They also do not have a recipe. So here's the one I have made up specifically for this purpose:

White Chocolate Thingys
CIMG3164

1 pkg. white chocolate chips
little vegetable oil
1 sleeve Ritz crackers
Peanut butter
Sprinkles (see below)

Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Get out sprinkles and get them ready to be sprinkled. Melt white chocolate chips in double boiler or microwave. While chocolate melts, make little peanut butter sandwiches with 2 Ritz crackers and a little peanut butter (do not over-stuff). Check chocolate - if it is still thick, add a little vegetable oil to thin out. Dip each sandwich into the white chocolate and place on wax paper to cool. Instantly sprinkle each cookie with sprinkles.* Eat when cool. Makes about a dozen.

*In our house, three kinds of sprinkles must be used:

CIMG3161
1.) Not sure what they are called, but I call them "little multi-colored balls". These are replicas of the exact cookies I had as a child.

CIMG3162
2.) Something "Jesus-related". I insist - it IS Christmas after all. These are little fishes.

CIMG3163
3.) Something "Christmas-colored", i.e. red and green.

I have been using these three kinds of sprinkles for years now. They are all three a MUST, no exceptions.

Now, the reason that I always screw these cookies up?? The dipping. I am dipping-incapable. Seriously. That's why my cookies tend to look like this:

CIMG3160

And not pretty and smooth and perfect like the ones I remember. Ah well. They are getting better every year!

Also, I believe I mentioned that I would post a picture of Nora's handmade turkey hair bow. Fifteen-month-olds are not easy to photograph. I had to chase her down to get this picture folks. Appreciate it! :)
CIMG3190

Until next time . . .

3 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

hehe.... I think they look great. And yummy. And, that's really all that matters, right? I love that you are so particular about your sprinkles, too.

Thanks for linking up!

Oona Johnson said...

They look great and bet they taste amazing! The "recipe" sounds very similar to something my fiances mom made for our Halloween party, only they had chocolate chip eyeballs. I love the Jesus fish. lol Perfect Christmas touch!

Lucky Girl said...

Everytime I see a dessert recipe with Ritz crackers I get skeptical - but each time I taste one, I fall in love. These are totally yummy I'm sure!