Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Book Nook Seat

My Grandma gave my mom some thrift store stools not too long ago. My mom didn't have too much use for them, so she asked me if I wanted them.

Not really my style, but I have always wanted to re-upholster something. So I thought I would give it a try. Plus, Nora really enjoys sitting and climbing on them. :)

Since there were two stools, I thought I could use one in each child's room and match it to their individual book sling. Since I currently only have one child, only one got done this weekend! The other stool and the other book sling will get done later in life. Or I may upholster the other stool to match my living room for now, and then re-upholster it again in a few years for the next child. We shall see!


It was easier than I thought and harder than I thought. I wanted a huge cushion for it, so I used a cut-up garden mat from the dollar store AND also used foam padding. I just wrapped fabric around it, and stapled. I also made a foam-board covered interior to cover the staples, that I may do differently next time because I didn't quite cut it right. I also toyed with the idea of painting the wood, but I decided against it. The wood was in excellent condition, and matched Nora's furniture well.


All in all, it makes a cute little addition to her "reading nook". Nora likes that she can open and close it, and enjoys sitting on it. I like that it's totally cute and functional. YAY!!

Until next time . . .

Linked up at

2 comments:

Bags4Bubbles said...

Love it! It looks adorable! :)

Kathy P. said...

I agree. Absolutely Adorable! :-)