Monday, June 11, 2012

Baby Shower and Some Hand-Made Gifts

I announced I was pregnant about 8 weeks ago, but what you may or may not know is that my younger sister is also pregnant right now. This is her first child, and I am SUPER excited - particularly because our next child will be about the same age as hers. I always hoped we would have children that were around the same age! Anyway, her shower was this past weekend, and I have been a busy little bee for the past 6 months or so whipping up some hand-made gifts for her. Here are some of the things she got from me:

1. Taggie Blanket/"Lovey"

I love making these for babies. I think they are so fun for them to play with. This one was actually the easiest one I have done yet! I love the way it turned out.

2. Crayon Roll

I know it's a little early to be making and giving away one of these to an infant, but I wanted to be sure I didn't forget to make it. This is one thing that has been very useful for us when we are at a restaurant or the doctor's office, etc. It was my very first time ever using bias tape for anything, and I think I did pretty well! I found a crayon roll tutorial online and changed it up a bit to make this one. It's filled up with triangular crayons (also a lifesaver) and some smooth-writing crayons.

3. Monthly Layette/Baby's First Year Photo Frame

This was the most time consuming of all the projects. I saw something like this on Pinterest and wanted to replicate it differently. For the onesies I cut vinyl out with my Silhouette and ironed them on the appropriate size onesie. I found the frame I needed at Michael's, and just added coordinating vinyl there as well. I love the way this looks, and I may even do it for myself as well. :)

4. John Deere Tractor Diaper Cake

This I could not resist trying. :) I have never made a diaper cake, and I wanted to try a tractor one for my sister. This turned out NOTHING like the picture I originally tried to base it off of, but I love, love, LOVE how it turned out! :) It's made out of over a half of a large pack of newborn diapers (about 70-80), dowell rods, a dishwasher basket, a blanket, a t-shirt, a spoon, a wipes case, a monkey, a binky, and Nora's Build-A-Bear John Deere hat. :) Oh, and a ton of rubber bands and pins!

5.) The Basket

This is the basket full of gifts! I wanted to get her some unique gifts that she would likely not get from anyone else. It has all the hand-made items in it, plus a few extras that I have been collecting since before Rachel even got married! I included gas drops, pain medicine, a temporal thermometer, a puzzle, a CD, a few layette sets, a cow rattle, a book, some burp cloths, and a blanket. LOTS of good stuff! :)

I didn't get a whole lot of pictures at the shower itself, but here are a few of the ones I took. It was a great shower!

Until next time . . .

No comments: