Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Still plenty of time before Christmas . . . right??

So I decided - last night - to rearrange almost all my Christmas decorations.

Nevermind that there are 4 days until Christmas, and no one will even be coming to our house this year. Rearranging became critical.

Why you may ask? Well, remember those shelves I talked about? Oh yeah - you KNOW I bought them for myself with my b-day money. :) Actually, I bought a more expensive version. The cheaper ones that I wanted were sold out, so I made do with the cute Pottery Barn ones. Which means I paid too much, but I also treated myself to something from Pottery Barn with other people's money instead of my own. Happy Birthday to me!

Anyway, this part of my living room wall has always bugged me:
CIMG3254
I have these gigantic walls and I fill them with itty bitty picture frames. It's just not right. It needed to change. Did it really need to change dramatically a week before I take down the holiday decor and change it all again?

CIMG3259
YES OF COURSE. Who do you think you are talking to here?

I didn't put much on the shelves or worry too much about what they looked like, since I will be changing it all again in a week. I bought the name blocks off Etsy in a 2-for-1 deal wayyyyyyy back in August (one set went to my sister and brother-in-law as a wedding gift) so I have been sitting on these for awhile. Yes, I could have made them myself, but why do that when you can get 2-for-1?? I LOVE them a ton.

I like how these shelves make my walls look more "balanced". Makes my day really. :)

Also awhile ago I saw a post someone had done on a DIY site, and it immediately sparked my interest. When we were cleaning out the basement I discovered all my old composite posters from Alpha Phi. I put the posters in storage, but it left a bunch of cheap, large, empty frames. I decided I had to upcycle them and do this project, creating my own dry-erase boards and organizing my house in the process. Here's what it ended up looking like:
CIMG3256
I am very happy with how it turned out! If I could do it all again, I would make the "W" in the background a darn tan instead of burgundy. It blends in too well with the brown and you can only read it real well up close:
CIMG3257
Also I think I need to come up with something creative to hold the corners of the frames together better. These frames are SOOOOOOO cheap. Like at a yard sale you would talk a person down to 25 cents instead of paying 50. Seriously, you would.

If you are interested, you can find the organizer and bell listed above at my website. :) GRATUITOUS PLUG!!!!!!! Hey, I'm not ashamed.

Until next time . . .

No comments: