Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nora's Big Girl Room!: Part Two

It's done! ;)

Well, mostly. I still have some things to hang on the walls, but the room is 98 percent done! FINALLY! It took a lot of effort on our part, but we were able to get this done in 6 days with almost no issues. My mom and mother-in-law were a HUGE help in getting this done - trying to paint and drill into the walls with two kids around is tricky. But it's done now and it turned out awesome!

Anyway, here are the photos:

The official "big girl bed", complete with the bedding that Nora chose herself. We also used one of the ledges we had originally built for Gray's room above her bed - and I LOVE it! Above her head it says: "she leaves a little sparkle wherever she goes". So, so true for Nora!

This is the nightstand. I got this for ten bucks on a swap site, and I painted it and added new handles. It turned out fantastically! Plus - lots of storage. ;)

Nora's short dresser, with her own little mirror. She's a bit short for it now, but I am sure will be able to easily see herself in it much too soon. Also a little shout out to Fish Is Fish, who is happy to be out of Gray's room. ;)

Here's where I ended up putting Nora's magnet board. I really wanted her to be able to reach it so she could hang things on it, and so here's where it ended up. Also, a ton of her books are stored in the bin below.

A view back towards her right wall. This wall will look a little different as I hang her "gallery" here. It also houses her book rack, which she can now reach - even though it doesn't hold nearly close to all of her books! One thing she begged me for in her room was a tent - she had even specifically picked one out. It wasn't possible to get the tent she wanted in her room, so I was racking my brain trying to come up with another idea. My first thought was "bed canopy", but I couldn't find one that wasn't completely tacky. I saw this tent on clearance at Michael's for 40% off, and I picked it up!! This tent was 12 dollars, and it's Nora's new favorite thing - I call it her "Reading Tent", she calls it her "Camp-Out". Whatever you want to call it, it's awesome because it can be easily taken down if needed. WOOT!

A close-up of some of the items that will end up in her gallery.

Toy storage. The labels on the bins are dry-erase and are from Target. I think I may need a wet-erase marker to make sure they don't get rubbed off so easily! I am also entertaining the idea of using vinyl, so we'll see what works best as we go along.

A view of her tall dresser, with her new hook board on the wall. I still need to remove the Command Hooks from her closet door.

The view back towards the closet. You can see the growth chart Great-Grandma Pat made.

The view when you walk in.

Another view of her bed.

So that's it! Stay tuned for the next blog entry: Nora's reaction to her new room. :)

No comments: