Monday, May 2, 2011

El Salvador - The Sequel

So, it's been a few months since I went to El Salvador. I wanted to share a few pictures that myself and others took, and share something that I was thinking about over this past week.

This past week my husband and I painted the downstairs room where Kelsey will be living. The last time I painted a room, I was in El Salvador so right away all these memories flooded me . . .

. . . like the Chicken Dance, for example. :)

There are many things that I do not take for granted since going to El Salvador. For example, I am doing my best to make sure we do not waste food in this house whenever it is possible. And when we painted this past weekend, I was grateful for the new, clean brushes we were able to use, and for the rollers and the paint trays. And the water-based paint!

I'm a messy painter. :)

I was also able to look at myself and think about what I have been doing since I got back. I have been doing a lot of praying for the folks down there. A LOT (just ask my small group!) However, one thing I have not done is share with you something that the folks down there wanted me to share with you very badly.

There are kids down there without sponsors. If you feel that it is in your means to sponsor a child, I sincerely hope you do. However, if you have a child that you are sponsoring already you need to write to your child. If you have underestimated how important it is, underestimate no longer! I am one of those people that never have a problem writing anything, but if you are someone who just cannot think of what to write, start with the basics. Introduce yourself. Talk about the weather. Talk about what you did today. It does get easier as time goes on. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO THIS. Take my word for it. I cannot think of a better way to really make that hit home for you all, but I said I would share the importance of it with you and now I am. WRITE.

If you can't be there to help in person, then you can still "be there" in your letters. Your support matters a lot, your prayers matter a lot, you BEING THERE FOR THEM matters a lot! They want you to know that, and hopefully now you do.

If you are interested in sponsoring a child, my church has found success working with Compassion International. I highly recommend them.

Until next time . . .

No comments: